Description

Finding balance with food, movement, and community for my (dairy-free) family.

Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Homemade Leave-In Conditioner

Sis de-tangling herself.
With the goal of reducing chemical exposure, I've been looking for natural substitutes for our hair care products.  I found this recipe to replace the Paul Mitchell detangler I use for Sis's hair.

Homemade Leave-In Conditioner and De-tangler
2 oz aloe vera juice
2-3 drops Rosemary essential oil

Directions:
Combine the aloe vera juice and essential oil in a small spray bottle.  (In the travel/sample-size aisle in the beauty product section at Walmart they sell 2 ounce spray bottles that work perfectly for this.)  Shake vigorously and then spray, shaking frequently and vigorously throughout use to disperse the essential oil.

When Sis' hair is wet, I spray on quite a lot and comb it through. When her hair is dry, I spray just a bit on to dampen it and de-tangle.

I'm quite pleased with how this works to de-tangle and to reduce static.  There are just two little drawbacks:

  • It needs to be refrigerated because there are no preservatives in the aloe vera juice
  • Sis thinks it stinks!  
However, a couple of days ago I was at our local baby shop and noticed they had a de-tangler made by a local home-based natural body-care company with very similar ingredients (for $15.00 eek!).  That product listed a combination of orange, lavender, and rosemary essential oils as ingredients, so I'm going to try that mix on our next batch and see if it pleases Sis' nose a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment