Description

Finding balance with food, movement, and community for my (dairy-free) family.

Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Improving Syrup

I was too disheartened to try to smuggle vegetables into breakfast again today (regrouping to make a better plan before I try again), so today we improved our syrup by replacing it with a blueberry sauce.    For French toast toppings, my picky eaters usually chose between homemade syrup (sugar, water, and mapeline flavoring) or coconut oil with a dusting of powdered sugar.

Real maple syrup would, of course, be a better option, but it's just so expensive.  I know if I let them use that, I'd be horrified by left over syrup puddles and would find myself licking the plates clean to avoid waste--which would be good for neither my dignity nor my pant size.

I confess, despite success with berries in the past, I tend to avoid using them because of the inevitable laundry issues they create.  Fear of stains has kept me from making this recipe sooner.

Blueberry Syrup Sauce*
2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder (or corn starch or kudzu)
1 cup apple or berry fruit juice
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2-3 Tablespoons real maple syrup
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Apetizers
In a small sauce pan, combine the arrowroot powder and fruit juice (we used apple juice).  Add blueberries and maple syrup.  Stirring constantly over medium heat, get the sauce simmering.  Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes, until mixture is clear and purple.  After removing from heat, add lemon juice and serve.

Edited to add:  I've found that this gels when refrigerated and, although it can be reheated, I prefer it made fresh.  I now make a half batch to reduce our left overs.  

Big Brother helped me make it.  While it simmered, both kids nibbled on frozen blueberries (yeah!).


When I ladled it onto their French toast, Big Brother objected to the whole berries that remained in tact.  I assured him that was the best part.

Nevertheless, as he ate, he carefully picked the berries off and left them on his plate.  Despite that, both seemed to enjoy the sauce although it was much more fruity and less sweet than their normal French toast topping.

Brother's rejected berries


Overall it was a success.  Lots of purple lips . . .

but no stained clothing.

 It's not a huge improvement over syrup, but it's a baby step.



 *Recipe from Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair.

No comments:

Post a Comment