Description

Finding balance with food, movement, and community for my (dairy-free) family.

Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Vegetables for Breakfast

My kids tend to be hungriest at breakfast.  I'm not sure if this is because typical breakfast foods tend to be most appealing to their grain-preference (waffles, pancakes, French toast, etc) or if it's because they often ate very little at dinner the night before because that's the meal that tends to be vegetable and meat heavy.  

If my picky kids are hungrier at breakfast, surely they'll be more adventurous in trying new foods, right?  

Veggies
The Food
So for today's baby step I made scrambled eggs with veggies to go along side their usual French toast.  In my double-boiler I steamed a stir-fry medley of frozen veggies (asparagus, red pepper, onion, summer squash, cauliflower, and broccoli) until VERY tender.  

I diced them to make them less obtrusive.  Then added them to the scrambled eggs along with a little salt, pepper and Greek seasoning.  

Introduction Strategy
French toast with apricot jam
Knowing these would meet with objection and rejection, I reduced the serving size of their French toast and added a tiny serving of the eggs and veggies to their plate.  My hope was that they'd finish the French toast and I'd then kindly and in a matter-of-fact tone insist that they eat the tiny serving of eggs and veggies before having more French toast.  

Apparently I didn't reduce the French toast serving size enough as they rejected the eggs and veggies, ate the French toast, and asked to be excused without pressing for more.  

Hmmm, guess I'll have to slice the bread thinner next time I try this strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment