Description

Finding balance with food, movement, and community for my (dairy-free) family.

Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Zucchini Patty Cakes

I made up this recipe on the fly this morning.  It came out differently than I expected, but was very tasty!

Zucchini Patty Cakes
1 cup zucchini (grated, water squeezed out)
1 egg
1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil *
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.  Scoop onto a pre-heated cast iron griddle over medium-low heat (I used about 1/4 cup per patty, making 4 patties).  Cook until golden brown on the bottom, flip and cook the other side until golden brown.

These were eggier than I'd expected (perhaps too much coconut oil?), but very yummy.  Big brother and little brother both ate some and Big Brother said he liked it.  Sis wouldn't even try.  She did lick one bite just to humor me, however.

Edited to add:  These have become a frequently made dish around here.  I've dropped the coconut oil from the recipe as it really wasn't adding anything.  Big Brother actually requests these now and all three kids will eat them fairly cheerfully.  Minus the coconut oil and with the natural moisture of the zucchini squeezed out, they look far more appetizing than the above picture would suggest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment