Description

Finding balance with food, movement, and community for my (dairy-free) family.

Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Hootenanny Fruitenanny Buffet: Dairy-Free Mini High-Protein Fruit-Filled Pancake Cups

Hootenanny Fruitenanny Breakfast Buffet
Versions of this breakfast dish pop up all over the Internet under half a dozen different names:  hootenanny, Dutch baby, German pancake, panakuchen, oven pancake. I snagged the idea to make a mini version in muffin tins from a Real Mom Kitchen post via pinterest.   


In a spirit of playfulness, I went with the nonsense name hootenany fruitenanny when I introduced a dairy-free version of these to my kids last week (much nicer then the hyphen mania in my subtitle, don't you think?).  


I fully expected Big Brother to reject these as he has baked egg dishes in the past, but instead he totally dug them.  He told Papa, "Mama made an exciting treat for breakfast!"  


I guess this just validates the French assumption that food rejection is just a matter of inadequate exposure . . . just keeping swimming, swimming, swimming, just keep swimming . . . 


I've made three batches of these dairy-free mini hootenannies to experiment with different variables.  The idea is that the batter puffs up in the oven, but sinks when removed--creating a cavity perfect for filling with fruit.
Standard Size Muffin Tin:  White Flour in the Front
and Whole Wheat Pastry Flour in the Back
Larger Size Muffin Tin:  White Flour in the Front and
Whole Wheat Pastry Flour in the Back.  (One
Hootenanny Gone MIA Having Makeup Done
for Photo Shoot)
I was surprised to find that I got better puff and, therefore, a better cavity when I used whole wheat pastry flour than when I used white flour (yay!).  We topped ours mini hootenannies with fresh fruit and some maple vanilla nut cream.  The fun of picking and choosing fillings seemed to fuel the kids' enthusiasm for this meal.

Without further ado, here's my favorite way to make a Hootenanny Fruitenanny Breakfast Buffet.

Mini Hootenannies


1 cup coconut milk beverage
6 eggs
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup melted coconut oil


Directions


1)  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease muffin tins.


2)  In a blender, combine coconut milk, eggs, whole wheat pastry flour, salt and vanilla until smooth.  Be sure to stop and scrape the sides as the flour is prone to lumping.  


3)  Blend in the coconut oil gradually (taking special care to be gradual if the coconut oil is warm from melting).


4)  Fill each greased muffin tin 1/3-1/2 way full.  (I tried two sizes of muffin tins and preferred the results from the pan with larger muffin cups, but both worked fine; also, less batter in each cup seems to make for a lighter end-result with more puff.)


5)  Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. 

Topping Ideas (this would be the Fruitenanny part . . . )

Big Brother is Ready to Fill His Mini-Hootenanny


  • Diced Apricots
  • Blueberries (frozen or fresh)
  • Diced Peaches
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Any fresh seasonal fruit
  • Maple Vanilla Nut Cream



I Like Mine with Diced Apricots

A Drizzle of Maple Vanilla Nut Cream Adds A Little Sweetness


Cool Breakfasts for Hot Days?

Okay . . . so it's a bit of a stretch to call this a cool breakfast.  I like them best warm from the oven, but they are good at room temperature.  If it were cool enough in the evening to bake with my windows open to cool the kitchen, I could prep these the night before and serve them at room temp.

Something about the texture makes me think these will not freeze well, but I may be dead wrong--I haven't tried it.  

Here's what I love about these--and why I will include them in our summer breakfast rotation:
  • With six eggs they are higher in protein than a typical pancake or waffle (my kids' favs).
  • There is no sugar in the hootenanny and none added to the fruit.   
  • Aside from the natural sugars of the fruit, the only sugar here is the 2-3 tablespoons of maple syrup in the Maple Vanilla Nut Cream.  Even that cream was used sparingly (one batch lasted for more than two breakfasts), plus as a cashew-based cream it comes packed with the fat and protein of the nuts.  Not to mention that maple syrup is relatively unrefined sweetener to begin with.  
  • Glorious seasonal fruit gets to be the star of this meal.  
  • My kids thought these hootenannies were fun and delicious.  
Lady, stop taking my picture so I can
eat this hootenannny.  

My next breakfast post will be a truly cool breakfast with a fun twist.  In the meantime, check out these posts for other ideas for cool breakfasts for hot days:  


I shared this post at Allergy Free Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment