Description

Finding balance with food, movement, and community for my (dairy-free) family.

Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Zucchini Waffles: More Breakfasts Al Fresco

In my quest to find cool breakfasts for hot days, I've resorted to cooking on the deck again.  My husband thought I'd lost my mind when I suggested we make waffles on the deck to prevent heating up the kitchen.

But, he tries to be a good sport, so he went along with it.

My husband, making waffles on the deck. 
Waffles are great cool breakfast not only because the waffle maker can be plugged in on the deck, but also because they freeze and reheat in the toaster so beautifully.   We made a big batch and then froze the leftovers for future cool breakfasts.

For my current favorite dairy-free waffle recipe, I converted this zucchini pancake recipe from Amanda Rose, who blogs at Traditional Foods.

Zucchini Waffles

Dairy-Free Zucchini Waffles
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons baking powder


4 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons brown sugar (or sucanat, rapadura, etc.)
2 cups coconut milk beverage (or other milk substitute)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini

Directions:
1.  Preheat your waffle maker (optional:  on the deck )  
2.  Combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
3.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.  
4.  Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, stirring with a minimum of strokes to avoid over-mixing.  
5.  Cook on your waffle maker according to the manufacturers directions.  

Freezing Tip:  
Spread your waffles in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze for about an hour.  Then remove the waffles; store and freeze in a zipper bag.
Freeze Waffles in a Single Layer, Then Transfer to a Bag

 Freezing in a single layer first will prevent them from freezing into a solid mass and make it easy to remove them one at a time to reheat.

I thought our waffle breakfast-picnic was a hoot.  My husband . . . not so much.  Fortunately, the kids enjoyed their waffles with gusto.  

 Waffle Picnic on the Deck


Looking for cool breakfasts for hot days?  

Check out these other ideas to keep your kitchen cool in the morning:
Gingerbread Granola Al Fresco
Dairy-Free Spinach Strata
Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
Mini Hootenanny Fruitenanny Buffet





No comments:

Post a Comment