Description

Finding balance with food, movement, and community for my (dairy-free) family.

Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Homemade Easter Candy

Celebrating special occasions with special food is totally normal across cultures and human history.  However, in our culture of overly-abundant, overly-processed, subsidized, cheap-crap food, it's hard to keep things in perspective.

I've been thinking about Easter candy today and have decided to make my own candy for the kids this year.  I think it will be fun to make small batches of a selection of candies made from real food ingredients--enough of each batch to enjoy the treat, but not so much as to gorge ourselves.  Yes, it's still lots of sweet, but it will be free of artificial colors and flavors and highly processed ingredients like high-fructose corn syrup.

After roaming around my Pintererst boards and checking out all the treat recipes I've pinned over the past year, I was so overwhelmed I had to come and make a list:  a list to help me organize my ingredients and supplies so I can start experimenting.  Many of these should store well in the freezer, so I'll try to make them up over the next few weeks to avoid last minute stress.

Here's what I'm thinking . . .

Homemade Marshmallows--this recipe is honey-sweetened.  I may try to shape them into homemade peeps like Martha Stewart does with her marshmallow recipe.  Or we may just enjoy squares.

Bird's Nests--I want the final product to look like the traditional bird's nest cookies, but I'm thinking of swapping up all sorts of ingredients:  dark chocolate for the coating, homemade crunchy pretzels instead of chow mein noodles, and maybe peanuts for the eggs.

Peppermint Patties--I made these at Valentine's Day and they were a hassle to dip, but tasted great!


Homemade Peanut Butter Cups--I have two recipes in mind.  Not sure which way I'll go:  this one is made in a mini-muffin pan, which I have (with a poisonous non-stick coating); this one calls for a silicone mold which I'd have to buy or mini-muffin paper liners--not sure I'll be able to find those.

Mound's Bar--I'm not sure about this one.  My husband doesn't like coconut candy and I'm not sure if the kids will either.  It also calls for a mold I'd have to buy--or adapt.  No reason it couldn't be done in a mini-muffin pan  . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment