Description

Finding balance with food, movement, and community for my (dairy-free) family.

Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dairy-Free Spinach Strata: Cool Breakfasts for Hot Days

Dairy-Free Spinach Strata
 To make this a cool breakfast for hot days, I start it in the morning, let it soak in the refrigerator during the day, bake it at night (when we can have the windows open to cool off the house), and serve it cold the next day.


I was worried that a strata cooked the night before and served cold might not be great. Boy was I wrong! Delicious . . . vegetables for breakfast.



To make this dairy-free strata, I used nutritional yeast flakes to give it a bit of a cheddary flavor.  The sourdough English muffins add a nice tang too.  



Dairy-Free Spinach Strata


3 sourdough English muffins (I use this recipe from GNOWFGLINS)
6 eggs
2 cups coconut milk beverage (or other non-dairy milk)
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes


1/2 Tablespoon healthy fat (i.e. coconut oil or lard)
2 cups raw spinach
2 cloves minced garlic


Directions:
Step 1:
1)  Toast the English muffins and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
2)  Spread out the English muffin cubes in a 1.5 quart casserole dish.
3)  Whisk together the eggs, coconut milk beverage, ground mustard, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast flakes.
4)  Pour egg mixture into the casserole dish over the English muffin cubes.  
5)  Refrigerate for 6-8 hours


Step 2 (6-8 hours later . . . ):  
1)  Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
2)  Melt 1/2 tablespoon fat in a skillet over medium heat.
3)  Wash spinach well.
4)  Add garlic to preheated oil, sauteing for a moment.
5)  Add the spinach with water still clinging to its leaves to the skillet, sauteing until wilted.
6)  Spread spinach across the top of the egg mixture.
7)  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, until the egg mixture in the center is set.  

Dairy-Free Spinach Strata:  Delicious Cold or Warm

Kid Reviews

I have to be honest:  the kids didn't love this.  They each ate some, but not a lot.  My toddler ate the most.  There was no wailing and gnashing of teeth over it.  They just quietly had a light breakfast.  

We've been in a breakfast rut, so this was quite a departure and they weren't quite ready to roll with it.  I enjoyed it enough that it will definitely make future appearances in our rotation.  We'll see if they warm up to it.

Cool Breakfasts for Hot Days. . . 

The heat has become brutal here since I first made this recipe.  It's no longer cooling off enough in the evenings to allow for cooled-off cooking with the windows open.  This morning I tried this overnight, no-cook oatmeal and a muesli recipe from my favorite cookbook for a truly cool breakfast, but I found the texture of both quite off-putting.  

So . . . I'm thinking my strategy will be to batch cook and refrigerate/freeze our breakfasts that can be enjoyed cool so that I'm only heating up the house one day a week rather than every morning.  This spinach strata kept well in the fridge for several days and I have a big batch of peanut butter banana muffins stashed in the freezer.  


I shared this post at Allergy Free Wednesday.  


No comments:

Post a Comment